Tuesday, September 11, 2012

On this day in history

On a different Tuesday eleven years ago my world changed.

This change wasn't a difference in my home life, or in the sweet little town I called home, but it was a change of the very atmosphere in my country, the great USA.

At no other time in my life was the country so united. First in fear, then in grief, but throughout in heroism. The actions of so many people showing love and compassion to one another will forever show me what this country is capable of when her people pull together.

I know my daughter will never see the meaning in 9/11 that I do. It was so clear to me today as I witnessed the generational divide. Those about my age tweeted, posted status updates and pictures, and mentioned the event that stands out so vividly in many of our minds. Yet those even a few years younger don't seem to notice this as different than any other fall day.

That doesn't mean the lessons I learned have to grow up and fade with my generation.

I want to teach Koleen what I learned from 9/11. Hate does not prevail, but bravery and love always will. A group of people, no matter how diverse always can work together, and in doing so change a situation. Any one person may not be destined to change the world or the face of history, but that person can change the world to a single person.

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. --Edmund Burke
If the good men and women who rose to the occasion on 9/11/2001 had done nothing, my list of lessons would have been entirely different. American citizens, soldiers, firefighters, first responders, medical staff, and all the other people who stood shoulder to shoulder and silently shouted to the world that day, I thank you. Not only did you change my life, you will teach my child and countless other children the true meaning of the word HERO. 

God continues to bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment