Friday, July 13, 2012

Flawless.

Chin implants are the fastest-growing form of cosmetic surgery, according to CBS This Morning. I was fascinated when I saw this story come on, but that fascination soon morphed into indignation.
According to this story, since the end of the recession, cosmetic procedure numbers are on the rise. One, when did the recession end? Did someone forget to mention that to Michigan? Two, was that what people had to do without during the recession? If so, why are we complaining? But back to my rant, which I will lovingly refer to as "commentary" for the remainder of this post.
The Dr they interviewed for the story talked about how what he did was important, because by fixing people's "defects" he was giving them confidence. Whoa. Now I'm all about confidence, but this is messed up. Of all the things I don't want for my daughter, someone telling her she has a defect in her face she needs surgery to correct is at the top of my list.
Also, is having a defined chin, pert nose, or full lips where our daughters' confidence should originate? Um, no, Malibu Dr. How about intelligence, kindness, responsibly, and work ethic? How about knowing her parents love and respect her? How about caring for the needs of others and finding purpose outside of herself?
As a mother, my goal is to teach my daughter she is flawlessly created in God's image and to gain her self-worth from the things in life that matter. Defects in her facial structure? I think not!

4 comments:

  1. I'll throw things at the first doctor (or first anybody) who tells my niece her face is defective! Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! You'll be such a wonderful mom, I have no doubt Kole will grow up with great self-confidence :) And I love Sean's comment; what a good uncle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. completely agree! I couldnt have said it better myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your beautiful daughter will know what is important in life because she has wonderful parents who have their priorities straight.

    ReplyDelete